Recently we released WordToTFS 5.1. This update is a mix of features and bugfixes. This post gives a brief description of the changes.
Work Item Links – Support for HTML Fields
Whenever a user wants to show links between Work Items in Word, she can define an appropriate links section in the WordToTFS template as already described in section Defining link mappings (p.33) in the WordToTFS User Guide. However, this worked well only with fields (see LinkFormat in the following screenshot of a sample configuration) of simple data types (string, number).
Now the user can also reference HTML-fields in that links section. Since this can only be a preview of the linked work item, WordToTFS removes any HTML based formatting and also embedded images to improve readability in the links area.
Test Specification / Test Result Reports
The list of test plans in Test Spec and Test Result Reports is now ordered by name, which makes the list much more usable.
Furthermore the Test Spec by Query now supports usage of Shared Steps work item types.
The WorkItemViewerLink element of the Test Spec and Test Result Reports configuration now supports formatting of links. Therefore the new Format attribute has been introduced at the WorkItemViewerLink tag in the WordToTFS configuration as shown in the following sample configuration.
This enables the user to specify formatting with the WorkItemViewerLink similar to the Link-tags described at the beginning of this post.
We now support multiple naming of test suites within test plans. Since the name of a test suite does not need to be unique in the scope of a test plan, specifying the test suite to be reported is not sufficient. In addition to specifying the name of a test suite, the “path” can be used as well. Test suites can now be selected via a path to identify a certain test suite. This is done in the format “TestPlan1RootSuite/SubSuite1/SubSub2” (see also section Identify test suite selection by tree path on page 43 in the WordToTFS User Guide).
Auto update for WordToTFS templates is now also being used by Console Extension. As soon as there is a new version of the used WordToTFS template at the specified template location, WordToTFS refreshes the local template cache even when called via command line interface.
The default WordToTFS templates got a face lift to achieve a modern layout. Furthmore the default work item type colors of Epic, Feaure, Product Backlog Item and Bug work item types are now used in Word as well. This makes it easier getting an overview of a specification at a glance.
Beyond the new features there are a log of bugfixes within that release:
- Fixed bug that shrinks images when getting and publishing work items.
- Fixed bug that throws a COMException when the addon activated and started from command line in some cases.
- Fixed bug that the command line uses the wrong server connection on loading of an existing document.
- Fixed bug that the command line ignores the specified dotx-template.
- Fixed bug with formatting lines in description field. Depending on the formatting of the content an exception was thrown on publish.
- Fixed bug with reading the latest test results. In some cases when several test runs started parallel and ended in another order than they have been started, WordToTFS interpreted another test result as “latest” than MTM does.
- Fixed bug that throws an OutOfRangeException when getting work items.
- Fixed bug in Test Result Report that created an exception while reading Shared Steps results of automated tests.
- Fixed bug that Test Reports raised FileNotFound Exception when template location contains subdirectories.
- Fixed minor error descriptions.
- Fixed minor bugs in documentation.
Install the Update
It’s worth to mention that we terminated development on WordToTFS 4.*. We highly recommend users that have still installed WordToTFS 4.* to uninstall that version and download version 5.1 from https://aitgmbh.de/wordtotfs. Users having WordToTFS 5.0 already installed, can either wait a few days for the auto-update mechanism or enforce the update mechanism manually by using the update button in the WordToTFS ribbon (see the next screenshot).
We’re proud to improve the tool continuously, which would be impossible without the support and valuable feedback of our customers. Thanks for that!